Monday, October 11, 2010

Tofu Curry



So my favorite restaurant would be Bangkok Thai restaurant in Sarasota, Fl. Hands down! There have been weeks where they saw me in there three times in the same week! Those were good weeks for me. Or maybe they were bad ones that people were using that to cheer me up. Either way its my favorite.

Now I have been going there around 8/9 years and I have always ordered the same thing. Tofu pad thai medium/hot (depending on my mood) without the eggs. It is amazing. Now Ive swapped appetizers. Sometimes I get sumtum cucumber salad. Sometimes crunchy tofu. Sometimes Tofu Satay. But always the pad thai.

So recently I went and decided after 8 years of the same thing I was going to try something else on the menu. It was very courageous of me, because as my fiance pointed out, if I didn't like what I ended up with - then I would have wasted a trip to Bangkok.

But I took another step into the world of thai food and ordered the Green Curry with Tofu. Man was it good! Now I have gone back three times since and only order the tofu green curry. Being on the South Beach diet, and also trying to not spend too much money eating out, I decided to try this at home, south beach style.

It took two tries to get all the ingredients perfect, but now it is south beach friendly (i never gain weight on the days I eat it and often lose), vegetarian (for me), and also just as yummy as the ones my friends at Bangkok make. So here is the recipe to share with you!


Ingredients
  • evoo
  • red bell pepper
  • green bell pepper
  • vidalia onion
  • cubed tofu
  • mushrooms
  • green peas
  • green curry paste
  • splenda
  • light peanut butter (the one with splenda is best cause its sbfriendly)
  • light soy sauce
  • two cans of lite coconut milk
  • crushed red pepper
  • salt
  • pepper
  • whole grain brown rice 

Steps
  1. cook brown rice, while it is simmering -> continue
  2. saute in some evoo: red bell pepper, green bell pepper, vidalia onion, tofu cubed (cook the tofu until its brown on the sides a little), shitake mushrooms, anything else you want to saute
  3. add green curry paste (you can get this in the Asian dept at Publix you can also use yellow or red curry paste to change flavor)
  4. mush it all together and let it cook like this a little bit
  5. once cooked enough pour in two small cans of light coconut milk (also in Asian dept at Publix)
  6. add in a bit of splenda, lt peanut butter, and lt soy sauce to taste
  7. Add green peas, any other green vegetable that doesnt need to be sauted
  8. Add a bit of crushed red pepper, salt pepper, anything else you want to spice it with - determine your level of spice with the crushed red pepper or even hot sauce if you like
  9. Let it boil, then cook under low for 10 minutes
  10. Serve over cooked brown whole grain rice
it should be like a soup with chunks of veggies and tofu in it. obviously you can trade out the veggies and tofu for chicken if you want to change the flavor. it was soooo yummy i cant wait to have it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...