Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Vegetarian French Onion Soup

So it hit me the other day that I hadn't had french onion soup (which used to be a favorite of mine) since I became a vegetarian. So I decided to figure out a way to make it vegetarian and south beach. And I did. I lost weight the day I ate it, so it apparently didn't effect my weight gain, and it was pretty good.

So here is the recipe to share:

INGREDIENTS

  • EVOO
  • SB safe butter spray
  • Vegetarian broth
  • Vidalia Onions (1 per bowl)
  • Light swiss cheese (shredded would be good but not necessary - i could only find it light in slices)
  • whole wheat bread/tofu if in stage 1
  • splenda
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Thyme
  • Light Soy Sauce
  1. Saute the onions in evoo and butter spray til they become translucent
  2. Add in some soy sauce and spices and a bit of wine/balsamic/splenda to carmelize a bit
  3. after the onions are sweet and soft you can pour in the veggie broth, about a containerfull
  4. add spice to taste and here is your veggie onion broth
  5. Bring it to a boil and then bring it down to a simmer for about 10 minutes
  6. Then pour the soup into oven safe bowls and set the oven to broil
  7. Float a tiny bit of whole wheat bread/tofu in the top of the soup bowl and lay the cheese on top of it to melt
  8. Cover the top with cheese and put it in the oven
  9. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling and turning brown at the top

And then you eat it - and its yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...