Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Roasted Chick Peas

So - one of the things Bryan and I have discovered is that some of the things South Beach books ok to consume regularly make us gain weight on the days we eat them. Yes we weigh ourselves every day. I know I know, but for me it works. Case in point is the sugar free fudgecicles. Every single day we ate them we both gained weight. So we took them and dumped them into the Watsons fridge and won't even look at them let alone eat them. They were not even close enough to being good enough to gain weight from.

But there is one snack food that I can seem to eat as much as I want of and never do anything but lose weight on these days. Roasted chick peas. I have personally modified the recipe from the south beach books enough to make it a super super yummy treat and can't seem to stop eating them. We had four cans of chick peas in the closet at the beginning of the week and I am hoping there is one left in there to make some roasted chick peas tonight!

So here is my version of the recipe. Feel free to replicate or even call them kimchi-ckpeas :)

INGREDIENTS

  • can of chick peas (use more than one can if you plan to share)
  • splenda
  • salt
  • pepper
  • sbfriendly butter spray
  1. Drain the can of chick peas
  2. spread the peas out on a cookie sheet on aluminum foil in a single layer
  3. spray the peas with the butter spray
  4. sprinkle salt, pepper, and splenda over the top of the chick peas
  5. put them in the oven at 350 for an hour or so - or until they have the consistency of pop corn - or if you like them mushier on the inside cook a shorter time
  6. Every now and again i will take them out, roll them around or sprinkle more splenda on them if they look a little unflavored ( :) )
  7. Then take out of oven when complete, allow them to cool off for 5-10 minutes and throw in a baggy or bowl for munching.
  8. They almost have a hummus/popcorn/kernel corn taste when they are done and I love them

ENJOY! This, by the way, is what I sneak into movie theatres with and snack on instead of 10poundstomywaist popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...