Last night something amazing happened in our house. What was it? Bang Bang Cauliflower! Thats right. I found the recipe on Pinterest and have been jonesing for them ever since I saw the photo. I mean come on! Any food you eat with chop sticks can't be half bad. Although I am not a huge fan of shrimp I often partake in one or two bang bang shrimp when we go to Bonefish Grill. Its just so fun.
Something I have always wondered though, if I put up with the shrimp for the sake of the yummy crust and sauce why don't I just put the crust or sauce on something I do like. Well - someone had already come up with that idea and put it into this awesome recipe that I am about to bestow upon you. Be warned, this may cause a habit forming addiction.
This can be an appetizer but we enjoyed it as our meal. While I was cooking these up Bryan looked at me and said "is that all you're cooking or are we going to eat something else too?" I said "only planning these, dear, feel free to cook something else". He did, and he didn't touch it. He was quickly filled on the Bang Bangs Cauliflower.
Fried & Breaded Cauloflower Ingredients
- 1 Head of Cauliflower / frozen cauliflower defrosted
- Egg whites
- Panko breadcrums
- Garlic Salt & Pepper
- Green Onions
- Coconut Oil (though I used evoo)
- 1/2 cups Franks red hot sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cups light mayo
- 1T rice vinegar
- 2T splenda
- Break your cauliflower up into bite size pieces
- Dip them first into cornstarch (yes it feels gross)
- Dip next into egg whites
- Dip next into bowl filled with panko, salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Let them dry on a plate while you finish the rest of the coating
- Cook them in frying pan with coconut oil (or evoo if you substitute)
- Make sure you flip them to make sure they are fully cooked and browning
- Sit them on a plate with a paper towel to soak up the oil
- Throw them in a bowl and coat with sauce
- Top with green onions and Enjoy!