Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spicy Baked Plantain Chips







The sweetest boy in the world happens to enjoy a potato chip here and there. With the mischievous grin as he knowingly opens a bag of chips in front of me raising an eyebrow to see if I complain... and I always do. So in my crusade against the trend of diabetes in his family I try to keep him and myself on a healthier diet. In keeping with that - here is the next attempt I made, my failures, and success. :)

  • Green plantains 2/3
  • cajun spice
  • berbere
  • salt & pepper
  • evoo

  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Prepare baking pans greased with evoo/something lowcal
  3. Use a knife to peel the plantain. When I read this direction in multiple recipes I laughed and said - well Ill just peel it like a banana. Giggling at my own naivety I grabbed a small knife and started peeling away after my failed attempt at finger peeling.
  4. After you have peeled your plantain getting down to the fruit of it, go ahead and slice it. While I started paper thin I started chunking them up a bit realizing it would need some oomph to get a real crunch, and the thin but thick ones did turn out best in the end, and most like the plantain chips I have bought in a store.
  5. After your slices are sliced, throw them in a bowl with a splash og evoo, and spicing to your liking. I tried some with honey and splenda and some with spicy peppers and such. Mix with your hands.
  6. Throw the slices on the baking pan. They can touch but make sure they don't overlap.
  7. Keep a close eye here. Cook until the edges brown. Can vary but should be about 8-16 minutes depending on the thickness of your slice.
  8. Remove and let cool and harden.
  9. Serve immediately or throw in a bag, they will save for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...