Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lentil Veggie-Burgers


Recently the smell of lentils reminded me of the veggie burgers I used to buy back in the day, before Publix carried such things as boca and garden burgers. I decided I wanted to try to recreate them so I did this weekend. I made a batch, froze the ones I didn't make right away, and have been enjoying the heck out of them all week. I have decided to make these regularly and vary between them and boca to both save money and try something different.
  • 1 Cup lentils
  • 2.5 Cups water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 celery sticks chopped
  • 1/2 red onion chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 egg white
  • handful of shredded low fat cheese
  • ketchup
  • hot sauce
  1. Boil lentils until soft in salted water
  2. Sautee garlic, onion, and celery
  3. Once cooled enough to work with but still warm mix all ingredients together
  4. Once evenly distributed, work into balls and flatten into patties
  5. At this point you can freeze them individually or cook them
  6. I grilled them at this point on my george foreman but you can also sautee in a frying pan or in the oven
  7. Enjoy either standalone or on a bun with veggies and cheese, be sure to add your favorite condiments (my favorite is lite mayo and no salt hunts ketchup mixed together)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this sounds lovely! This is the first time i'm looking at your recipe blog, and happy to see some vegetarian meals as i don't eat meat! :)
    I'd like to try these lentil burgers...tnx for sharing all these recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...