Monday, July 25, 2011

Vegetarian Tagine Cooking

My mom got us this beautiful piece for our anniversary this year, and imagine my excitement when I found out I could cook in it!

A tajine, or tagine (Berber: tajin), is a dish from North Africa, that is named after the special earthenware pot in which it is cooked. A similar dish, known as tavvas, is found in the cuisine of Cyprus. The traditional tajine pot is formed entirely of a heavy clay, which is sometimes painted or glazed. It consists of two parts: a base unit that is flat and circular with low sides, and a large cone or dome-shaped cover that rests inside the base during cooking. The cover is so designed to promote the return of all condensation to the bottom. With the cover removed, the base can be taken to the table for serving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine
I attacked my first vegetarian tagine meal tonight and thought I would share it with you. The only change I would make is less spice. My hubby's sensitive tongue couldn't handle it and my sinuses were instantly cleared and my eyes teared. But, with a spicy tongue I enjoyed every bit of it.

Ingredients

  • tofu
  • veggie-sausage
  • couscous
  • sweet vidalia onion
  • frozen carrots
  • garlic
  • veggie broth
  • cinnamon
  • turmeric
  • berbere
  • creole spice
  • black pepper
  • paprika



  1. sautee tofu, sausage, and onions in evoo
  2. place couscous and spices and broth in tajine
  3. place garlic, carrots and sautee into tajin
  4. place tajin into oven at 300 degrees
  5. keep an eye and make sure there is fluid in the dish to cook through
  6. At around 45 minutes make sure your couscous is cooked and soft
  7. Remove from oven (make sure to remember the tajin is hot - my bubbling swollen thumb is still soaking in icy water)
  8. Enjoy!





 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...